Sunday, February 19, 2006

 

Contemporary Art

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I talked about contemporary art in yesterday’s post. When you listen to people talk, there’s always the question: “Is this art?” And there’s always the view that it’s but rubbish.

I haven’t seen ARS 06 yet, but I do remember ARS 95 vividly, because it was at that exhibiton that it dawned on me how fascinating contemporary art actually could be. Quite a few of the artists used their work as a political statement. It was then and there I saw how art was able to stir up conversation on current affairs. Was that why it was called contemporary? Through the conversation and through other people’s eyes, one was able to see more sides to it than one could alone. Albeit that it spoiled a few works of art for me. I thought I saw something magnificent in a particular piece of work, but after learning what it was called, or what the idea behind it was, it was gone. It worked the other way, too. I only appreciated someone’s art when they told me what it was all about. An example of the latter was some chunks of stone on the floor. When I read in the catalogue that the artist was interested in history and liked to depict ancient ruins, I could immediately see Forum Romanum, and that the material was marble.

There were nearly 100 pieces there, of which I found some 10 or 20 absolutely revolting, and I liked or loved only a dozen , just to give you an idea of the degree of my devotion. Contemporary art still doesn’t speak to me. Or if if does, I don’t listen. Not often.

Connesseurs see more than laypeople, I suppose, but on the other hand, perhaps a child sees more than experts. In any case, there’s more to art than meets the eye. And beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Comments:
Whether we like a piece of art or whether we understand it does not change the fact that its art.

I think that if we were to put down some basic rquirments inorder for something to qualify as art it would help.

For me art has to have a sense of colour and texture

a sense of composition and a sense of harmony

Those would be the basics for me.
 
Hi Mystic

I was hoping to get a comment from an expert. Thanks! Incidentally, I taught English and Swedish for about 10 years to art museum people, and during that time had the wonderful opportunity to visit museums free of charge, and I also got invitations to grand openings. Great. Come to think of it, I suppose I still could pull a few strings...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?